As the weather gets warmer, everyone is looking forward to fun in the sun! Whether you are planning to spend time at the beach or you have a backyard swimming pool, now is the time to get started with your fitness goals so you are swimsuit ready for the summer.
Keep in mind that humans come in all shapes and sizes. So, “swimsuit ready” varies depending on the person and their goals. Instead of feeling pressured to look a certain way, it’s better to focus on your fitness and self-confidence so you love how you feel – no matter what you are wearing.
Where should you focus your efforts to get the best results to feel comfortable and confident in a swimsuit? Here are a few proven tips that will helps you slim down and feel good about your body and your appearance:
Incorporate Movement in Your Routine
Even the smallest amounts of physical activity can add up to noticeable results. Look for ways to move your body more. Sure, it’s important to spend time in weight-lifting and cardio exercises. But don’t underestimate how much it can help to move your body between workout sessions as well.
For example, you might consider walking to a destination instead of driving. Or, turn on your favorite song and dance in the kitchen while you are preparing dinner for the family. The more you move during the day, the more calories you will burn.
Tone with Weight Exercises
Not only do you want to lose a few extra pounds, but being swimsuit ready is also about making sure your body is toned. Even if you don’t want to bulk-up, weight bearing exercises can help helpful to add a little definition and shape.
You can lift weights at the gym. Or, spend time with body weight exercises such as push-ups, squats, rowing, deadlifts, and lunges. The more you are consistent with these exercises, the stronger your muscles will be and more definition you will see coming through.
Evaluate Your Diet
There’s a common saying that abs are made in the kitchen. You can build a strong core and still have it hidden behind a layer of stomach fat. Even if you are consistent about workout routine, your progress will be slow if you aren’t also implementing good dietary practices as well. Take a close look at the food choices you are making.
Instead of going on a strict diet, look for ways to make incremental changes in your eating plan. Here are a few of the most effective dietary tips that will help you achieve fast weight loss results:
- Avoid Refined Carbs: Ditch the bread, cookies, cake, sweets, pasta, and other types of refined carbohydrates. Instead, stick with whole grains like brown rice and quinoa.
- Increase Fruits and Veggies: Fruits and vegetables are an important part of a weight loss plan. Not only are they packed with antioxidants, but they are also low in calories and high in fiber. The fiber content helps your stomach to stay full so you can minimize the overall number of calories you are eating in a day.
- Add the Protein: Your body needs essential amino acids to rebuild after your workout. Stick with clean sources of protein, such as chicken, legumes, nuts, and grass-fed beef. Count your protein macros and work with a nutritionist or personal trainer to determine your ideal protein consumption to meet your fitness goals.
- Drink More Water: Many people are walking around without knowing that they are chronically dehydrated. You might think that you are feeling hunger cues when your body is actually asking for water instead. Before reaching for a snack, try drinking a tall glass of water… then wait for 20 minutes to see if you are still hungry.
- Don’t Drink Your Calories: As you are increasing your water intake, use this water as a replacement for high-calorie drinks. Soda and juice might taste good, but they are full of empty calories that are sabotaging your health goals. Additionally, alcohol should be minimized, especially if you tend to snack more frequently when drinking. Alcohol can cause bloating and it also slows the body’s ability to burn fat.
Skip the Salt
Salt is a nice way to add flavor to a meal. But too much salt can lead to bloating and water retention. Notice how you feel after eating salty foods. The truth is that salt might be adding to your water weight. Medical experts have found a direct connection with high levels of salt and water retention.
The puffiness after eating a salty meal can last for days. The bloated stomach can take a toll on your swimsuit ready confidence. Reduce your salt while you are cooking. Also, consider asking for sauce and dressing on the side when you are eating out since they are often high in sodium.
Focus on Your Posture
It’s no surprise that the stomach rolls show up when you are slouching. One of the fastest and easiest ways to look better is by sitting and standing a little taller. When you have good posture, it positions the body and can instantly make you look a few pounds thinner.
Straighten your spine and keep your shoulders back. Work to keep weight distributed on both hips evenly. Posture is more important than ever because people spend so much time with poor posture while looking at their phones or sitting at the computer.
Find Support for Your Fitness Goals
One of the best ways to stay consistent with your fitness goals is to have a tribe of other like-minded people. Joining a gym is a great way to feel swimsuit ready because you have access to quality facilities and equipment for your fitness routine.
If you need help with your fitness goals and you are looking for a local gym, then join Fitness Nation today. Our facilities are convenient and have modern, quality equipment to make your workouts more enjoyable. Additionally, you can hire a personal trainer of you want personalized support and faster results.